Birth Preparation Course – 11 & 18 January 2020 – Geneva
Module 1 Date: 11/01/2020 Module 1 Time: 13:30 – 18:30
Module 2 Date: 18/01/2020 Module 2 Time: 13:30 – 18:30
HealthFirst offers Birth Preparation classes led by our highly experienced British-trained nurse/midwife Polly Pupulin. Come and meet other expectant parents and have the opportunity to get your questions answered in a relaxed and friendly setting.
The course is 10 hours long, split into several sessions. Topics covered include:
- Healthy living in pregnancy.
- The health system in Switzerland for pre-natal, intrapartum, and post-natal care.
- Going into labour, what to expect.
- The different stages of labour.
- Induction of labour.
- Pain relief during labour, positions in labour, breathing and relaxation.
- Tearing, stitches, perineal massage and pelvic floor exercises.
- Birth plans – what they are and how to use them.
- How your midwife can help you during labour.
- The partner’s role during labour.
- Care of the newborn during the first hour of life.
- Understanding cues that your baby needs feeding.
- How to breastfeed your baby including how long to feed for and choice of positions.
- Expressing and storing breast milk.
- Breast accessories – pads, pumps, nipple shields, silver nipple cups, bras etc.
- How to know if your baby is getting enough breast milk.
- A day in your life with your baby: nappy changing, washing your baby.
- New baby problems – colic, regurgitation, fever.
- When to get advice for your baby.
- SIDS (cot death) prevention.
- Baby blues and postnatal depression – discussion and warning signs to look out for.
Spaces are limited to 6 couples (or 12 participants) per course. Individual participants are welcome. Please book for each person attending. A couple should book 2 places.
Upon booking, all Birth Preparation course participants are offered 10% off the course fees for their next First Aid course booking with HealthFirst.
Please note that your health insurance company may not reimburse the 100-150 CHF contribution towards these antenatal class fees.
All bookings cancelled by participants 7 days or more before the course start date will receive a full refund. Those bookings cancelled less than 7 days before the course start date cannot usually be refunded. In the case of sickness, or other extenuating circumstances, affecting one of the HealthFirst trainers on the training day, HealthFirst will provide an alternative course trainer wherever possible. In the rare instance when this will not be possible, we reserve the right to postpone the training date. In this situation, all course bookings can either be transferred to the future course, or will be refunded upon request.