Birth Preparation Courses
HealthFirst offers Birth Preparation classes in Geneva, led by our highly experienced British-trained midwife Polly Pupulin. Come and meet other expectant parents and have the opportunity to get your questions answered in a relaxed and friendly setting.
This course is 10 hours long, split into several sessions. Topics covered include:
- Healthy living in pregnancy.
- The health system in Switzerland for pre-natal, intrapartum, and post-natal care.
- Going into labour, what to expect.
- The different stages of labour.
- Induction of labour.
- Pain relief during labour, positions in labour, breathing and relaxation.
- Tearing, stitches, perineal massage and pelvic floor exercises.
- Birth plans – what they are and how to use them.
- How your midwife can help you during labour.
- The partner’s role during labour.
- Care of the newborn during the first hour of life.
- Understanding cues that your baby needs feeding.
- How to breastfeed your baby including how long to feed for and choice of positions.
- Expressing and storing breast milk.
- Breast accessories – pads, pumps, nipple shields, silver nipple cups, bras etc.
- How to know if your baby is getting enough breast milk.
- A day in your life with your baby: nappy changing, washing your baby.
- New baby problems – colic, regurgitation, fever.
- When to get advice for your baby.
- SIDS (cot death) prevention.
- Baby blues and postnatal depression – discussion and warning signs to look out for.
Spaces are limited to 6 couples (or 12 participants) per birth preparation course. Individual participants are welcome. Please book for each person attending. A couple should book 2 places.
Disclaimer: Click here to read our full disclaimer.