Mountain First Aid
Learn how to deal with injuries or accidents whilst skiing, hiking, biking or during other activities in the mountains.
This course is formed of 2 interactive modules using realistic manikins and life-like scenarios and simulations.
Module 1: Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- How to call for emergency help in Switzerland and what to say.
- How to assess a person’s level of consciousness.
- Putting an unconscious person into a safe position (the ‘Recovery Position’).
- How to give CPR to babies, children and adults.
- What to do in the case of drowning.
- Signs and symptoms of a heart attack or a stroke and what to do.
- What to do for choking child or adult.
Module 2: First Aid in the Mountains
- When and how to call the mountain rescue service.
- The correct procedure to follow during rescue helicopter landing.
- The importance of head and spinal injuries and what to do.
- How to manage broken bones, sprains and knee injuries.
- First Aid for major bleeding and minor cuts and grazes.
- Hypothermia and frostbite: prevention, symptoms and First Aid.
- Snakes in Switzerland and what to do if bitten.
- What to have in your Mountain First Aid Kit and how to use it.
Course certification: HealthFirst Certificate of Attendance in CPR and Mountain First Aid (valid for 2 years).